Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spreading the Sock Monkey Love

It's no secret that I make sock monkeys because when I was sick, the sock monkeys were there in the hospital with me, and they helped me make my life better later on. I like to think of the sock monkeys as the change that I've made in the world. To me, sock monkeys are there to help people, even if it's just helping them be happy.
Teagan the sock monkey to the rescue!
One morning, I was getting ready to go to the day job, when I decided to take Teagan the sock monkey with me. I only managed to finish that one monkey the night before, and I was going to wait until I had others to take photos of*, but I brought him in anyway. It was just meant to be. That day, there were cards going around for a coworker who's been quite ill recently, so I took photos of Teagan, made up a quick tag for him, and then it was in with all the other get well items.

It was just meant to be. I just happened to have finished only one, appropriately colored monkey the night before, so I figured it was a sign that he needed to go to work immediately cheering someone up. Hopefully, the sock monkey mojo works just as well for my sick co-worker as it did for me when I was sick.

I do what I can to send out the monkeys to people who need them, but Operation Sock Monkey sends monkeys *everywhere* they're needed. It's a really awesome charity, and I think once I get the Winter Cheer Flock closer to finished, I'll have to make some more monkeys to donate. Of course, you don't have to be a professional sock monkey maker to donate to Operation Sock Monkey, they appreciate donations from everyone, or you can adopt a monkey (or polar bear, or bunny, or kitty) from their zoo. It's yet another way that sock monkeys help the world!

Of all the sock monkeys I've made, about 25 (though I have no idea for sure) have gone to Operation Sock Monkey. It's a small thing, but I hope that it helps, and I'm a firm believer in small things being capable of having a big impact. 








*I use the couch at the day job as a back drop because the lighting is better there than my house. No one cares, and most people are quite amused when I bring in more monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment