Monday, May 31, 2010

Sock Monkey Monday: How to Make a Monkey

My handwriting isn't the best, so if someone can't read something please ask and I'll translate. 

Gather supplies:

 



 Got everything? Okay, time to start.


 I can't draw, so I traced the sock.

First side. Macro really shows all your wrinkles.

 Start to turn for the toe here. This way, you can cut the cuff off, and you also have a very definite line where the toes will be.
Second side:

I never have a measuring device handy. However, the length from the tip of my thumb to the first knuckle is just the right size.

The "center" line on socks is often not in the center.






Other people do this step very differently. This is the way that I do it. I prefer having two seams on the tail instead of on one of the arms.

Tips:

Do NOT use pen, marker, and especially not Sharpie!

Sew the arms first.

Stop here and turn. You don't want to make the arms too long, and you don't want to sew over the heel for one of them.



Each arm is one knuckle wide.


 The tail. This is why you don't want to make very thick or long arms. You don't want them to be so close together you can't cut them apart.





I marked them with disappearing ink, which is purple. You can sort of see them.




I have very little left over when I'm done sewing.
Next, turn everything right side out and stuff. 

 
All cut and ready to stuff.

Magic!

Next, sew the crotch closed, so he doesn't leak.

Start before the opening, so there won't be a gap. Start from the inside out, so that the knot will be hidden inside the monkey. Pull the thread all the way through here.

Put the tread through the opposite side, with the needle parallel to the opening. Repeat, alternating sides of the hole, and making sure that the raw edges are tucked inside.


This is what the stitches look like before you pull them tight-- sort of a zig-zag. You want to keep these stitches very tight, not loose, this is just to show you what they look like.

Tightened (hold the thread with the other hand to keep it tight, don't pull on the sock).

You can see the sock is naturally folding the cut edges in. This is a good thing.


All sewn. Hiding the stitches makes a more professional looking monkey.


These are all done the exact same way.




Pull tight.

Use your thumb to hold the raw edge inside.

That's a bit blurry, but it's closed completely. Do NOT cut the thread.

Start on the bottom side. You'll use the same kind of stitch you used to sew the crotch closed.


I over lap them a bit.


What they look like loose (for illustration only, keep them tight).






Next, the neck. This is optional.

I'm using blue, because he's getting a blue bow at the end.


Wrap around once, pull tight, but not too tight,  tie... um... a half knot. Go around again and tie a whole knot.
I realize that ring is on the wrong finger. It's supposed to be.


Snip all the excess off.

Time for a mouth. I don't use the heel. You can use the heel and do the mouth the same way, but I don't.

I stuff first, then sew the mouth on, because I think it gives a more even mouth, and there's less risk of ripping the sock. Same type of stitch used to attach the arms. (loose for illustration only).

Don't sew all the way around, he needs a smile!
Tests:

I like the second better.

I use a split stitch to do the mouth. It gives more options.


The last step is the ears... except there was an issue with the camera and I can't find the little teeny-tiny memory card that I took out of it last week. I didn't show how I do the ears anyway, because that's part of what makes my monkeys mine and it took me a bloody long time to figure out how the hell to do them properly. I also didn't include how to make/sew on the bum tags. I didn't think it was important for most people.

This monkey is finished, and his name is Pip. He'll have his photo taken and will be in the Etsy store later this week. 

The Finished Pip:
He's a happy little monkey that really likes Italian Sausages and milkshakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment