Monday, November 8, 2010

Sock Monkey Monday: Isn't It Too Early for Snow?

Last night, it snowed here in Monkeyville. Not a lot, but enough that I was glad that I didn't have to drive to work this morning. In typical New England fashion, that pretty layer of white was gone by the time I actually got out of bed for good* which was around noon.

Count me as one of the three people in the world that *loves* Mondays. Since I have so much Monkeyville stuff to do, I managed to negotiate Mondays off at the day job. It's not an additional day off, not really, since I usually wake up much earlier and spend the entire day just doing Monkeyville stuff. Today, it was working on the reindeer, whose cute little antlers are being a cute little pain in my butt right now. I am not a fan of  hand sewing entire pieces of monkeys like that.

The rest of the time, I was doing this:

Step One:
Can you tell what they are yet? Okay, I'll admit, here they don't look like much at all.

Step Two:
 They're starting to look like the finished product here, but still need to get stuffed, and a few other details. Any guesses?

It's these guys!



Cute, fuzzy-wuzzy snowballs.
These little guys are just the first few. I was up until about three in the morning finishing these guys up. I had to stop when I ran out of eyes for them. Unlike the sock monkeys, the snowballs have black plastic safety eyes. I tried doing them the same as the monkeys and it just didn't work.

These snowballs are cute, warm (yay, no freezing hands!), and also never melt! They're just the right size of a snowball too.
However, due to the eyes, it's probably best not to throw them at anyone, or at least anyone you like and don't wish to injure. These are the big size, I have two smaller sizes that I'm working on as well. Some with hangers to go on Christmas trees, and others for something else I have planned. Ninjas are Very Good at planning things. This one is getting better on the follow through as well.

The strange thing about this, is that last year, I happened to write something about it snowing in Boston (well, Cambridge) and it ended up snowing obscenely early here. October 17th to be exact. It should *not* snow here until well after Christmas. We rarely get the pretty white Christmases here, instead it's usually just rainy, wet, and generally un-Christmas-y miserable. Then, last night I got to work on the snowballs... and it started snowing here. Better timing than last year's October snowfall, but still odd. Very Very Odd.

Okay, I promised my Mumma that I would post photos of both the snowballs and the monkeys I've been working on for her to see, since she's stuck on the Island** and can't see them in person. The toy box has gotten so fully that another monkey just can't fit in it, so I had to go out and get a basket for them to go in.

So far, these guys have joined the other ten already waiting to go to the craft fair:
I haven't named any of them yet, because I'm just not sure what to call any of them. Ideas would be Greatly Appreciated! I'm not very good at naming the monkeys. The Ninjas used the 7 Dwarf naming system after all (named after traits, not real names).


I must go finish stuffing my balls... er... snowballs of course! Happy Monday Everyone!

*I got to bed around three...ish... I haven't changed the clocks so I don't actually know what time it *really* is anymore!

**Martha's Vineyard. In my head, there's only *one* Island. Nantucket doesn't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment