Monday, July 19, 2010

Still No Jack...

Laptop Jack is still sick, so unfortunately I can't do a really good Sock Monkey Monday today. All of the photo editing software is on Laptop Jack. Almost every major component in Laptop Jack has been replaced, with no results.

Thankfully, the guy from the repair company is very nice about having to repeatedly come to my house, and have none of his work actually do anything. He's also cool with Boo getting in the way while he's trying to work. This would annoy me, especially when a kitty tail knocked over the box holding all of the screws, but Scott the repair man doesn't seem to mind too much. I've been saying this for about two weeks now, but the end of this week, Laptop Jack should be up and running again. If he is, there will be a good Sock Monkey Monday next week.

I do have some photos to share. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to get out and take photos in the areas around Monkeyville, so please excuse the desk background. A clean desk is a sign of someone who doesn't work, just remember that!

First up, Belfry:
I really like the way Belfry's face came out. He's just so expressive. I think that style will be showing up on many more monkeys to come!

Next up, Sebastian:

This is silly, but I don't have a clue where that photo was taken. I know it was in my house, but I don't have anything black and that height... weird.

Sebastian is completely traditional. I was worried that Sirus Monkey might get a bit upset, and think that since he's not native to Monkeyville, he's not as special (okay, so I'm way too attached to my toys). However, Sirus gave his approval.
Sirus Monkey, looking bashful, but happy posed with Sebastian. I think they're cousins. There does seem to be a strong family resemblance. Also, it's very rare for Sirus Monkey to actually look happy in photos, so I'm glad that he didn't look sad in this one!

Even though Laptop Jack is sick, there are still orders to get out. The Ninjas and I named this little guy Waldo:
He was for a friend from work's granddaughter (he was a birthday surprise!) He's been renamed Red Monkey by his new best friend.

I have had four fish named Fishy. Red Monkey sounds good to me!
Now, the Ninjas and I have been fighting against the Evil Pirates of the world for a good year now. Some days are easier than others, because the Evil Pirates are very good at trying to put a stop to Ninja Time (9pm, every night) by slowly attacking the Ninja computers one by one. In Laptop Jack's case, they got him good. Not only did they break his memory, but when Laptop Jack wouldn't let that stop him, they also broke his motherboard (twice)! Sneaky Pirates, they put a defective graphics card in him, which has made Laptop Jack Very Sick.

Not all Pirates are evil though. Sock Monkeys aren't evil, so Pirate Sock Monkeys certainly can't be evil. The Sock Monkey goodness wins out over any possible pirate-y evilness.
The cannon is about two minutes up the street from my house. It was all gray stone colored, but it was just recently painted. When I drove by and saw it, I just had to use it for a SoMoPho! Pirate Monkey, cannon... it just had to be done.

The cannon happens to be outside of the VFW, and while I was shooting (and trying my best not to squish their flowers), a woman walked up to me and said "I drink, a lot, but not enough for this to make sense. What are you doing?"

I think she got a good laugh when I explained that I make sock monkeys, and when I saw the cannon, I just had to stop and use it for a photo with a pirate monkey. She shook her head and walked away. Sometimes, I forget how silly it looks for an adult to be photographing sock monkeys in random places.

I also finished the Very Big order I was working on. I wish I had more time to get more photos of these guys, but I didn't. I had to get them in their boxes before the holiday.
It's Dog the Bounty Hunter and his crew. I really like how these guys turned out. I have to say, I'll always have a soft spot for Beth now. She was the one that I spent the most time with by far. Sewing that chest was a challenge, but I was so happy that it came out symmetrical! I got to try lots of different thing with these guys, and expanded beyond my normal materials of socks and felt.

This fall, I'm hoping that I can get a spot in one of the local fairs the Village Artisan's Collaborative will be having. Since these will be in October and November, I've been trying to think of seasonally appropriate monkeys. Not just the typical Monkeyville ones, but some monkeys that would really make Monkeyville stand out from the other sock monkeys out there. The monkEmos like Laertes are part of that. Then, there's this guy:
Here lies poor old Fred
A great big rock fell on his head.
 Fred should have a headache from that rock, but I don't think he needs to worry about headaches anymore, because Fred is the very first....
 Monkeyville Zombie Monkey!!! Who knew that guts and mold could be so cute?

Now, there are some things all good zombies must have.

1. Exposed Brains:
Brains-- check!
2. A blank, nobody's home stare:
 Dead looking stare-- check!
3. Some missing flesh:
 Missing flesh, and exposed organs-check! Bonus for the moldy lung!
4. Last but not least, mold. All zombies are a bit moldy. 
 Moldy lung and moldy tongue-- check! (I feel the need to mention that the little red thing in the background is my desk vacuum. It's a robot, just like my calculator.)
 
Fred was going to go to the Monkeyville Shop on Etsy, but he's been adopted already! In fact, instead of going into the shop, Fred will be going all the way to Australia. That sort of makes me wish I was a Zombie Sock Monkey.

However, Fred is just the first Zombie, and definitely not the last. I have lots of socks that are more colorful, and that look even more like diseased zombie flesh, so there will be plenty more zombie monkeys to come.

Hopefully, this will be the last improvised Sock Monkey Monday, and Laptop Jack will be back next week. At least, I REALLY hope it is. I'm a bit lost without my Laptop Jack.

1 comment:

  1. SUPER FANTASTIC WORK! I am a huge fan. me and my twin run a sock monkey rescue and retirement home. Chk us out on Facebook if you get a chance - S.O.S.monkey. : D

    ReplyDelete