Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Christmas in October, Halloween in February

One of the few specific Halloween memories I have from when I was a Wee Little Ninja Writer is of my mother asking me after trick or treating "so, what do you want for Christmas?" Back then, I laughed and teased her that Thanksgiving hadn't even arrived yet! How was I supposed to know what I wanted*.

Now, I'm no longer a Wee Little Ninja Writer, I'm Full Sized Ninja Writer and I've been thinking about Christmas since August. August! Should my mother find out about this, I'll never hear the end of the teasing! However, I'm willing to take that risk, to deal with the laughter of my family, because if I didn't start thinking about Christmas back in August, I'd have some major issues.

I can see why Santa needs the whole year to make stuff for everyone**. I don't have billions of people to make toys for, but I have quite a few, and I'm going to need all of the time that I have to get everything done. Sock monkey making has ramped up to Extreme proportions, because November 13th, we'll be at a craft fair at the Epworth Methodist Church in Pawtucket from 9am-2pm.

This will be the very first craft fair that I've gone to as a seller and not a buyer, so I'm not exactly sure how many monkeys or what kind of monkeys to bring. I'm excited, but we don't have a lot of time to get everything ready. Eek! I have lots of Ninja Monkeys in the works (a Monkeyville Specialty) along with lots of others. Including these guys:
I haven't named them... I'm not sure if I should, but it feels wrong not to. These guys are sitting in the Monkeyville toy box right now, waiting for hang tags. Ninjas, reindeer, babies, and a few other monkeys will be joining them soon I hope!

It feels like the holidays are next week, but thankfully, I have a bit more time than that to prepare for them. The preparations for Christmas have taken over the ones for Halloween, but that doesn't mean that the Halloween monkeys won't be done.

Once Christmas is over, the next big holiday to look forward to is Valentine's Day. I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day for numerous reasons, so this year instead of hearts, flowers, and little kids in diapers shooting arrows, it's going to be zombies, skeletons, and more zombies.

I like zombies. I like zombie sock monkeys even more. They're cute, they're gory, and they're snuggly. What could be better?

It's going to be Valentine's Day for those that don't like Valentine's Day! Sure, candy and flowers are okay (I guess, I've never actually received either for Valentine's Day) but zombies are just all around... cooler. Skeletons too. Plus, it's hard not to love a sock monkey who wears his heart on the outside of his chest. At least it is for me. It's hard for me not to love any sock monkey. No, I don't have a problem. I am not a sock monkey hoarder... really... *looks innocent while hiding over 35 monkeys from view*.

Eli Monkey tried to give me a hand the other day. Though neither of us realized exactly how much five pounds of stuffing really is. The box is about a foot and a half square... not so bad really. However, I wasn't expecting the stuffing to expand to at least twice that size once the box was opened. Eek! Five pounds of stuffing is A LOT!
Eli Monkey tried, without much success, to contain the stuffing. That will end up being a lot of monkeys! Sirus Monkey, intelligently, watched from a far, while Eli made a bit of a monkey of himself***.Eli joined Sirus pretty quickly, once work was started and fingers were required. Soon, I will have my very own mini-army of Ninja Sock Monkeys. 

I won't use them to take over the world. I swear. *Innocent look*.

 
Okay, we're ready. Bring on Christmas!

*I'm sure it was, depending on the year: a typewriter, word processor^, or computer.
** I would like a new full time, non-contract job this year please.
***Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
^Imagine the screen of a Really Old computer attached to a typewriter. Exciting new features included: spell check, cut, copy, paste, and the ability to delete words without retyping an entire page. Life was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment